The kids of CC 265 (aka, the ROMEKIDS) are in ROME!!!! Here's my take on the experience :)

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Reflections

When I began the Reading Rome course, I felt overwhelmed by the sheer amount of material we needed to cover. The mythology, the history, the architecture, the culture... everything we possibly would need to know, we were taught. Everything was absolutely fascinating, yet a little daunting for our final trip.


I took pride in my prior knowledge of Rome. I became a classicist at a very young age, loving the ancient mythological Greek and Roman tales. Once I entered high school and started taking Latin, my knowledge grew even more. My Latin teacher, who to this day I still keep in touch with, was one of my favorite teachers of all time, partially because he taught my favorite subject, and partially because he took an already interesting topic and made it so much grander, so much more unbelievable.


Coming into CC 265, I thought perhaps that I would have a better understanding of some things, but in reality, every student in that class started off on equal footing, whether you were a classics major or an econ major. Through all of our struggles and a few of our triumphs, we certainly bonded as a class, and I am very happy to call all 21 students (and even the two professors) friends of mine.


So am I ready to go to Rome? That's a really tough question. I think once I get my footing (and get over my jetlag...), I'll be able to tell you where I am in relation to certain monuments. I'll be able to point out structures and buildings and give you a brief explanation of their importance. I'll even be able to appreciate the importance of espresso and gelato in the current culture (coffee and ice cream, anyone?). But am I ready for Rome?


I think I am. We've read so many different perspectives of those who have traveled and lived in Rome, from all the way back in ancient times to more recent years (a century is nothing in comparison to over two millennia). I have so many expectations, but I think the most important thing for me to do is to go in with none. To just experience whatever it is that I experience. Sure, there are places I want to see and things I want to do, but if I tell myself I'll do absolutely everything, I'll end up missing something. Who knows, maybe the best experience I'll have in Rome is seeing the Colosseum or sticking my hand in the La Bocca della Verita. Or maybe it'll be just finding a quiet coffee shop on the corner of a forgotten street and having a flirty conversation with Paolo.


I think the question shouldn't be "am I ready for Rome?" It should be "is Rome ready for us?"

No comments:

Post a Comment